About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Wolves boss Nuno: Keeping Mitrovic quiet key to defeating Fulhamby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveWolves boss Nuno says keeping Aleksandar Mitrovic quiet is key to defeating Fulham.Nuno knows that stopping the 24-year-old, who has netted 13 times for club and country this season, will be key to Wolves’ hopes on Boxing Day.“Last season in that moment he was a player who really helped them to get promoted,” Nuno said. “Their performance was fantastic and he is a very good player. I think he is one of the strikers who plays better with his back against the goal and we have to work on that.”Last season he created a lot of problems, especially because he was man to man with our last reference of defence. We have to balance better.”
Bat Tricks GirlSoftball, as we all know, is a game of statistics. Here’s an impressive number for you. The below Vine, posted one day ago, has nearly 8 million loops. Why? Because it features an incredible softball bat trick.The girl’s name is Marisa Arriaga, and she hails from Cedar Hill, Texas. She posted the original video back in June, but it’s gone viral the past 24 hours. In the clip, she lifts a bat off of the ground with her foot, bounces it behind her back, kicks the ball off of the tee, juggles it, and then crushes it into the woods. It’s awesome.Bat tricks? pic.twitter.com/M2JqHXR08l— marisa (@marisa_arriaga) June 24, 2015Yeah, I can’t do that. Impressive, to say the least.
Dennis Ward APTN National NewsA number of rallies took place in and around Bismarck, North Dakota Monday.They’re being held in support of journalist Amy Goodman.See related stories: Standing RockThe Democracy Now producer is facing charges related to a September protest at the #StandingRock site over a pipeline on a sacred site of the Sioux [email protected]
NEW YORK, N.Y. – In the wake of a privacy scandal involving a Trump-connected data-mining firm, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg embarked on a rare media mini-blitz in an attempt to take some of the public and political pressure off the social network.But it’s far from clear whether he’s won over U.S. and European authorities, much less the broader public whose status updates provide Facebook with an endless stream of data it uses to sell targeted ads.On Wednesday, the generally reclusive Zuckerberg sat for an interview on CNN and conducted several more with other outlets, addressing reports that Cambridge Analytica purloined the data of more than 50 million Facebook users in order to sway elections. The Trump campaign paid the firm $6 million during the 2016 election, although it has since distanced itself from Cambridge.Zuckerberg apologized for a “major breach of trust,” admitted mistakes and outlined steps to protect users following Cambridge’s data grab.“I am really sorry that happened,” Zuckerberg said on CNN. Facebook has a “responsibility” to protect its users’ data, he added, noting that if it fails, “we don’t deserve to have the opportunity to serve people.”His mea culpa on cable television came a few hours after he acknowledged his company’s mistakes in a Facebook post , but without saying he was sorry.Zuckerberg and Facebook’s No. 2 executive, Sheryl Sandberg, had been quiet since news broke Friday that Cambridge may have used data improperly obtained from roughly 50 million Facebook users to try to sway elections. Cambridge’s clients included Donald Trump’s general-election campaign.Facebook shares have dropped some 8 per cent, lopping about $46 billion off the company’s market value, since the revelations were first published.While several experts said Zuckerberg took an important step with the CNN interview, few were convinced that he put the Cambridge issue behind hm. Zuckerberg’s apology, for instance, seemed rushed and pro forma to Helio Fred Garcia, a crisis-management professor at NYU and Columbia University.“He didn’t acknowledge the harm or potential harm to the affected users,” Garcia said. “I doubt most people realized he was apologizing.”Instead, the Facebook chief pointed to steps the company has already taken, such as a 2014 move to restrict the access outside apps had to user data. (That move came too late to stop Cambridge.) And he laid out a series of technical changes that will further limit the data such apps can collect, pledged to notify users when outsiders misuse their information and said Facebook will “audit” apps that exhibit troubling behaviour.That audit will be a giant undertaking, said David Carroll, a media researcher at the Parsons School of Design in New York — one that he said will likely turn up a vast number of apps that did “troubling, distressing things.”But on other fronts, Zuckerberg carefully hedged otherwise striking remarks.In the CNN interview, for instance, he said he would be “happy” to testify before Congress — but only if it was “the right thing to do.” Zuckerberg went on to note that many other Facebook officials might be more appropriate witnesses depending on what Congress wanted to know.At another point, the Facebook chief seemed to favour regulation for Facebook and other internet giants. At least, that is, the “right” kind of rules, such as ones requiring online political ads to disclose who paid for them. In almost the next breath, however, Zuckerberg steered clear of endorsing a bill that would write such rules into federal law, and instead talked up Facebook’s own voluntary efforts on that front.“They’ll fight tooth and nail to fight being regulated,” said Timothy Carone, a Notre Dame business professor. “In six months we’ll be having the same conversations, and it’s just going to get worse going into the election.”Even Facebook’s plan to let users know about data leaks may put the onus on users to educate themselves. Zuckerberg said Facebook will “build a tool” that lets users see if their information had been impacted by the Cambridge leak, suggesting that the company won’t be notifying people automatically. Facebook took this kind of do-it-yourself approach in the case of Russian election meddling, in contrast to Twitter, which notified users who had been exposed to Russian propaganda on its network.In what has become one of the worst backlashes Facebook has ever seen, politicians in the U.S. and Britain have called for Zuckerberg to explain its data practices in detail. State attorneys general in Massachusetts, New York and New Jersey have opened investigations into the Cambridge mess. And some have rallied to a movement that urges people to delete their Facebook accounts entirely.Sandy Parakilas, who worked in data protection for Facebook in 2011 and 2012, told a U.K. parliamentary committee Wednesday that the company was vigilant about its network security but lax when it came to protecting users’ data.He said personal data including email addresses and in some cases private messages was allowed to leave Facebook servers with no real controls on how the data was used after that.Paul Argenti, a business professor at Dartmouth, said that while Zuckerberg’s comments hit the right notes, they still probably aren’t enough. “The question is, can you really trust Facebook,” he said. “I don’t think that question has been answered.”Cambridge Analytica headquarters in central London was briefly evacuated Thursday as a precaution after a suspicious package was received. Nothing dangerous was found and normal business resumed, police said.___AP reporters Danica Kirka and Gregory Katz in London and Michael Liedtke in San Francisco contributed to this story.
MONTREAL – Australia’s competition regulator has signed off on Quebec dairy giant Saputo Inc.’s proposed purchase of dairy processor Murray Goulburn Co-Operative Co. after the Canadian company agreed to sell a key plant.The regulator had raised concerns the acquisition would give Saputo control of the two largest dairy plants in southwest Victoria and southeast South Australia.Under the deal with the regulator, Saputo will sell Murray Goulburn’s Koroit plant within a specified period to a buyer which will need to be approved by the regulator.The agreement also includes details of transitional milk supply arrangements and independent management for the plant until it is sold.Saputo announced the deal to buy Murray Goulburn in October for $1.3 billion.The deal still requires approval by Murray Goulburn shareholders and Australia’s foreign investment review board.Companies in this story: (TSX:SAP)
GRANDE PRAIRIE, A.B. – The Grande Prairie Rural RCMP responded to a fatal collision early Sunday on Highway 40.At approximately 12:15 a.m. on February 17, 2019, the RCMP were called to a three-vehicle collision on Highway 40 approximately 20 km south of Grande Prairie.The collision happened near Norboard and involved a jeep and two semi-trucks. The 34-year-old male driver of the jeep was pronounced deceased at the scene. The collision has been cleared, and traffic flow has returned to normal. The investigation is ongoing.
“Council is excited to see this addition to our downtown, we are requesting City staff look into the possibility of the Arctic Grayling sculpture being carved of ice each winter,” said Mayor Lori Ackerman. City staff encourage you to visit the Let’s Talk 100 Street project website at letstalk.fortstjohn.ca and sign up for the project newsletter to stay up-to-date with the progress. FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The staff of the City of Fort St. John shared today due to ageing underground infrastructure and last summer’s water main break, the intersection at 100 Street and 100 Avenue requires urgent attention. The City of Fort St John staff goes on to say they have begun the planning and engagement process to upgrade and improve 100 Street. However the intersection calls for immediate remediation work and City staff have started working with a renowned Florence, Italy-based architecture and engineering firm to develop a concept. The concept, estimated at $41 million, calls for the construction of a traffic circle to improve the flow of traffic while allowing for a significant public art installation. Additionally, City staff commissioned a world-renowned artist to celebrate the Arctic Grayling, an important fresh-water fish of the north, which centers a stunning large heated fountain.
Taking place will be demonstrations, food pairings, speakers, games, and music as you sample the region’s best brews.A happy hour session will be held from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., with an evening session to run from 7:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.Tickets are $25.00 in advance, $30.00 at the door and is a 19+ event.Some of the proceeds will support local Rotary projects in Fort St. John.The Liquefied Natural Grains Beer Festival is taking place September 20 at the Lido Theatre.For more information, you can visit the Lido Theatre’s website. FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The 1st Annual Liquefied Natural Grains Beer Festival is coming this September to the Lido Theatre.The Festival is an opportunity for you to discover your new favourite made-in-Northern B.C. beer.According to event organizers, the event will feature over 24 flavours from nine breweries coming from Fort St. John, Prince George, Quesnel, Valemount, Smithers, and Dunvegan, Alberta.
New Delhi: China-based smartphone maker Realme, that clocked seven per cent market share in India in the first quarter of 2019, is aiming to sell at least 15 million handsets in the country by the end of year, the company’s India CEO said on Monday. The online-focused device maker that came into existence in 2018, was also among the top five smartphone brands in the fourth quarter of 2018 with eight per cent market share. “We are targeting to sell at least 15 million handsets this year and I believe in sales numbers,” Madhav Sheth, Chief Executive Officer, Realme India, told IANS. Also Read – Swiggy now in 500 Indian cities, targets 100 more this year “The sales and shipments won’t have such a huge gap,” Sheth replied when asked if the company was aiming only at the shipment numbers. Realme, which started as an online-only brand, now gets the majority of its sales from offline channels, according to Counterpoint Research. The handset maker will set up six exclusive stores in metros by the end of the year. The first such store will be opened in July. However, the company said it will also focus on the tier-2 and tier-3 cities. Also Read – New HP Pavilion x360 notebook with in-built Alexa in India “We’ll explore going into places like Nashik, Nagpur and Pune. We’ll also look to set up pop-up stores in the northeast,” noted Sheth. The company is targeting 50 pop-up and six exclusive stores this year. The retail outlets would house Realme’s portfolio of smartphones, Realme “Buds” and backpacks. “We already have our own earbuds and before Diwali, we will also have our own range of accessories. We will come up with our own power bank, Bluetooth headset, apart from few more smartphones,” the executive said. Currently, the brand has a retail presence in 50 cities, including Mumbai, Hyderabad, Surat, Ludhiana and Chandigarh, and is expanding footprint to meet the growing demands of customers. “We’ve already set up multi-brand retail outlets in 39-40 cities and we’ll reach 20,000 multi-brand retail outlets across 150 cities before 2019 ends,” said the company executive. The firm unveiled its first exclusive kiosk at the pop-up sale in New Delhi on Saturday. The kiosk lets customers experience and purchase from the Realme portfolio. The Chinese handset maker currently has one of its research and development (R&D) bases in Hyderabad and another in China, while its manufacturing factory is located in Greater Noida, which has a production capacity of almost 60-80 million handsets a year. The firm introduced the Realme 1 model in May 2018, marking its foray into the entry-level smartphone segment. According to CyberMedia Research (CMR)’s mobile handset report, the firm’s smartphone shipments grew by over 600 per cent in the September-October period in comparison to the July-August period in 2018, thus, making it the top emerging brand in India. Born as OPPO’s sub-brand, Realme is now an independent brand targeting the global youth.
Ohio State flirted with defeating a ranked opponent against Nebraska, but came up empty-handed after a late-game meltdown. Saturday, the Buckeyes will look to upset No. 16-ranked Illinois. Offense I was hesitant to jump on the Braxton Miller bandwagon, but consider my bags packed. Under Miller, the Buckeyes held a 27-6 lead in the third quarter. Offensive coordinator Jim Bollman was dialing up misdirections, play-action passes and seemed to get rid of the “run on first and second down, pass on third, punt and repeat” philosophy. When Miller’s injury forced Joe Bauserman back into the game, the offense ceased to exist. OSU needs a healthy Miller behind center to keep the defense honest. When defenses are preoccupied with Miller’s legs, passing plays and running lanes open. Daniel “Boom” Herron is back this week and Bollman would be wise to feed him the ball. The Buckeyes are 18-1 in games in which Herron has at least 55 yards rushing and 20-3 in games in which he scores a touchdown. Fickell said that Herron will likely be seen on special teams, but he needs to factor in the offense too. Defense The Buckeyes defense picked up where it left off against Michigan State – but only for two quarters. They held the No. 1-ranked rushing offense to just 37 yards and six points in the first half. But in the second half, when the team needed the defense the most, they fell apart allowing 195 rushing yards and 28 points. The defense needs to force turnovers as they did in crucial situations against Michigan State. The Buckeyes forced just one Nebraska turnover, an interception, and that came in the first half. Being on the road again, the Buckeyes will have to fight momentum and the crowd. The easiest way to stop momentum is with a turnover from the defense. Senior defensive end Nate Williams is out for the year, so someone on the defense must step up as a permanent pass-rushing threat. In the disastrous second half against Nebraska, the Buckeyes again went without a quarterback sack. Special teams Fittingly, junior punter Ben Buchanan continues to be the Buckeyes’ best player. He downed a punt inside Nebraska’s 10-yard line as well as pinning the Cornhuskers inside their own 20-yard line twice, including a 55-yard boot. They will need him to help control the field position battle. Drew Basil has been reliable this season, hitting 7-of-9 field goal attempts and leading the Buckeyes in scoring. If OSU has a chance to put three points on the board, they would be wise to take them. If special teams are where Herron makes his appearances Saturday, he needs to make the most of them and provide the team with a spark. As senior offensive tackle Mike Adams showed against Nebraska, this team feeds off of a confident senior player. Coaching The coaches must come up with an offensive gameplan that is operational with or without Miller. As effective as Miller was against Nebraska, the offense cannot depend solely on him. A freshman scrambler is going to get beat around, and if he has to come off the field, the offense must continue to attack. And, if Miller goes down again, the coaches should take a good hard look at third-string sophomore quarterback Kenny Guiton. The Bauserman experiment has been tried, and it has failed – miserably. The offense couldn’t be any less effective under Bauserman.