UK Racing pushes for drastic levy reforms as deep recession looms August 25, 2020 Submit EU research agency demands urgent action on loot box consumer safeguards July 29, 2020 StumbleUpon Related Articles Europol warns of ‘greater risk’ of match-fixing during pandemic August 7, 2020 Share Share The conversation surrounding Brexit has been inescapable for the last two and a half years, with MPs still unable to agree upon a deal that would be most beneficial for the UK. Later in the week, Chief Executive of Irish racing Brian Kavanagh will be travelling to Westminster to liaise with senior officials from both the British Horseracing Authority and French regulatory body, France-Galop. The trio will ultimately discuss the future of the tripartite agreement, which will face huge implications if the UK were to crash out of the EU without a deal.As part of the agreement, the freedom of movement for horses without long delays at borders is guaranteed. But a no-deal Brexit will no doubt complicate this as the agreement is reliant on the three countries remaining a part of the EU.Ireland currently does not have the infrastructure in place to deal with the long delays at customs checks and the potential tariffs that would be placed on thoroughbreds if the agreement was to cease to apply.Only two border inspection posts exist in Ireland at the minute, with proposals in place to establish another at Dublin Port in time for 29 March. Obviously, other border inspection points will have to be established in the longer term providing the UK continues towards a no deal.“In the event of Britain crashing out without a deal it would be recognised as a third country and the EU requires movement from third countries to go through border inspection posts,” Brian Kavanagh said on Monday.“Until that resolves itself we’re prisoners of the macro-politics. Hopefully a plan B can be found in the House of Commons and we can get a clearer picture by next week.“But even at that stage you’re almost 50 days from the exit so the time to devise alternative arrangements, and put them in place is limited.”A no-deal Brexit looks as though it will complicate horse racing over in Ireland. The Emerald Isle is one of the largest breeders of racehorses in Europe, and a no-deal scenario looks to have implications as to how horses can compete, and who can purchase horses at an early age.Henry Beeby – GoffsGoffs Chief Executive, Henry Beeby, has previously expressed concerns over the implications for Irish racing. “British and Irish racing is really one industry,” he said. “Britain doesn’t produce enough foals to be able to serve its own fixture list – it needs imports.“So it is absolutely imperative that there is no restriction of freedom of movement, for people or horses, and that there are no tariffs.”As is ingrained into EU law, Ireland and France will be prohibited from cosigning a bilateral agreement with non-EU countries, which will soon include the UK, without the EU’s permission. Thus if the tripartite agreement is thrown out of the window, the racing industry will undoubtedly suffer.Conor McGinn – LabourLabour MP for St Helens North Conor McGinn, who is also a co-chair for the All Party Parliamentary Group on Racing & Bloodstock, has joined the outcry regarding the issues that the industry faces.McGinn voiced concerns in The Racing Post, warning of ‘dire consequences’ if political divisions were not put aside. He claimed that “most of my parliamentary colleagues have little regard for racing and even less experience of it.“Worryingly, I get the sense that this widespread indifference could very easily metamorphose into hostility unless those of us who care about racing get our act together,” said McGinn.“Because at a time when racing is under intense scrutiny and faces many challenges, my fear is that if we don’t address politicians’ lack of interest and literacy, it could have dire consequences for our sport.”
England’s bid to reach a first World Cup final since 1966 came to an agonising end as they lost in extra time to Croatia in Moscow.Juventus striker Mario Mandzukic scored the winning goal in the 109th minute of the semi-final, slotting in from Ivan Perisic’s flick-on into the area.Here are 11 things we learned.TRIPPIER SETS THE PACEKieran Trippier’s 5th-minute free-kick goal was the first direct free-kick scored in the knock-out stage during the 2018 world cup. What a way to open his goalscoring account for England. He joins David Beckham as the only English players to score directly from a free kick in a world cup knock out game.TRIPPIER SITS AT THE TABLE OF MEN Kieran Trippier’s goal means that he joins David Beckham to become the only English players to score directly from a free kick in a world cup knock out game.ENGLAND’S DEFENSIVE SET-UPWithout the ball in the first half, the English deployed a 5-3-2/ 4-4-2 formation which had a telling effect on the Croats. It prevented the Croats from making good use of the flanks which they normally do. Ante Rebic and Ivan Rakitic were closely watched and it prevented them from having a decent effect on the game in the first half.MODRIC TAMED IN THE FIRST HALFEngland’s first half organization was key in preventing Luka Modric from influencing the game. He hardly had touches in the first half as the English men did well to cut off passing lanes leading to him. He had a better game in the second half as well as during extra time till he was substituted. ENGLAND’S SET-PIECE RECORDWith Kieran Trippier’s goal, England has set the record for the most set-piece goals at world cup since 1966. England has scored 9 goals from set-pieces. The goal breaks the record of 8 set piece goals which was jointly held by England and Portugal in 1996.ONE LAPSE, ONE GOALThe English generally defended well but on the two occasions they lost awareness of the movement and positioning of the Croatian attackers, they got punished. That should tell you about the efficiency of the Croats.ENGLAND RATTLED Ivan Perisic’s goal destabilized England’s set-up. After the goal, the English looked a bit disorganized and lost a lot of the second balls. They were also unable to keep with up the pace of Croatia’s play as the Croats began to find gaps in their defensive set-up and created more chances to win.CROATIA DID MORE TO WINIn the end, the Croats did more to win. They had 54% of the ball possession, came up with 22 goal attempts of which 7 were shots on goal. They also made good use of the flanks and proved that they are a complete team with all round efficiency.SO CLOSE YET TOO FARKieran Trippier’s opening goal gave England a glamour of hope which didn’t materialize into reality. The problem? England has been decent but their weakness has been an inability to score goals from open play as well as create genuine goal scoring opportunities aside their set-piece threats. In the end England managed only 1 shot on goal and just didn’t do enough to book a place in the finals. Note that England scored 9 of their 12 goals from set-pieces. THE CURSE OF THE SEMI-FINALSWith this loss, England has now lost 4 of their last semi-finals in major tournaments.STERLING HASN’T BEEN STELLAR WITH HIS PERFORMANCESCan someone tell me the effect Rahim Sterling has had on this English team? I honestly think that he didn’t do much to justify his continuous selection by Gareth Southgate.
Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error In an interview on TNT on Thursday night, Silver outlined some of the precautions the league plans to take in order to get back on the court to finish the season — including potentially barring some coaches from being on the sideline during games.“We’ve learned a lot more about the virus since we shut down in March,” Silver said in the televised appearance. And the data is demonstrating that, for the most part — there are exceptions — that healthy young people are the least vulnerable. But there are also people involved in this league, particularly some of the coaches who are obviously older people, and we also know people at any age with underlying conditions are most vulnerable.“So we’re gonna have to work through protocols that maybe, certain coaches, may not be able to the bench coach. They may have to retain social distancing protocols, and maybe they can be in the front of a locker room … but when it comes to actual play, we’re not gonna want them that close to players, in order to protect them. So those are all issues were continuing to work through.”Among the NBA’s head coaches, the Spurs’ Gregg Popovich is 71, the Rockets’ Mike D’Antoni is 69 and the Pelicans’ Alvin Gentry is 65 years old. On the Lakers’ coaching staff, assistant Lionel Hollins is 66. For the Clippers, Armond Hill is 67. According to the Center for Disease Control, people who are 65 or older are a higher risk for severe illness if they contract COVID-19.On Thursday, Florida’s Department of Health confirmed 1,419 additional cases of COVID-19 – the largest daily total of newly confirmed cases since daily updates began in March. The NBA’s board of governors voted Thursday to approve the league’s proposal for a 22-team format to restart the season in Orlando, Florida, on July 31, the league said in a statement. Portland was the only team of 30 to vote against the plan, according to The Athletic’s Shams Charania.The NBA announced that the board’s approval marks the first major formal step required to resume the season after a hiatus that began when play was abruptly suspended March 11 because of the coronavirus pandemic.In a conference call Thursday, owners voted on the plan put forth by Commissioner Adam Silver and the league’s advisory/finance committee to play out the season entirely at the Walt Disney World Resort.The league said it’s now is working to finalize a comprehensive, complex restart plan with the National Basketball Players Association, with representatives planning to hold a conference call Friday, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski. The NBA said it and the players’ association are working with infectious disease specialists, public health experts and government officials to establish a rigorous program to prevent and mitigate the risk related to COVID-19, including a regular testing protocol and stringent safety practices that Silver said Thursday evening will include playing games without fans in the central location where players will be tested daily.“We’re working through the logistics with the players,” Silver said. “But … other than the time when the players are face to face on the court … the other times will be retaining a certain social distancing protocols.”Further adding to the complexity fo the comeback is that news of the league’s latest step toward playing again comes in the midst of the international outcry sparked by the police killing of George Floyd on May 25 in Minneapolis. Silver suggested that the NBA could take a leadership role in helping to improve some of the racial issues that have boiled to the surface in recent days.“We are such a unique institution,” Silver said Thursday evening on TNT. “I think ultimately, we may be in a position to have more of an impact on this issue than almost any other organization in the world. When you think about the players, coaches, former players … including our ownership now withing that group, you have some of the most well-known people of color in the entire world.”There was some mixed social media reaction from current players on the proposal to play ball again when the nation is in the throes of protest.New Orleans guard Josh Hart, a former Laker, suggested Thursday the game could help unite people: “There’s so much going on in this country. Hope basketball can help bring people together and help contribute to the healing process.”Patrick Beverley expressed less certainty. The Clippers’ hyper-competitive guard tweeted Wednesday that with “Everything going on right NOW (basketball) is NOT IMPORTANT.”The Lakers and Clippers last played March 10. The Lakers lost 104-102 to the Brooklyn Nets at home and the Clippers beat the Warriors 131-107 in San Francisco, leaving off with the Lakers (49-14) leading the Western Conference and the Clippers (44-20) in second place.The plan approved by the board Thursday would allow them to continue their title quests in a format that features the 22 teams with the best records, or the 16 teams (eight per conference) in current playoff positions and the six teams that currently are six games or fewer behind the eighth seed in their respective conferences.The season restart would begin with eight “seeding games” for each returning team, with the possibility of a play-in tournament for the eighth and final playoff seed in each conference depending on combined records across regular-season games and seeding games.Once the 16-team playoff field is set, the NBA Playoffs would proceed in a traditional conference-based format with four rounds and best-of-seven series in each round.The NBA Finals would end no later than Oct. 12.Training camp ahead of the restart would tip off July 9-11, Wojnarowski reported, with a July 7 date scheduled for travel to Orlando, according to Charania.Additionally, the league announced that, as tentatively scheduled, after the season resumes July 31, the 2020 draft lottery would be rescheduled for Aug. 25, the 2020 draft would be slated for Oct. 15.The NBA then would aim to open the 2020-21 regular season Dec. 1.And, according to ESPN, free agency could begin Oct. 18 with training camps starting Nov. 10.Also Thursday, G League President Shareef Abdur-Rahim announced that the remainder of that league’s 2019-20 season — which was suspended March 12 — was canceled. Under normal circumstances, it would have concluded March 28.Charania reported that the G League extended health benefits and paid all of its players through what was supposed to have been the end of the season.IMPORTANT DATESJuly 9-11: Training campJuly 31-Oct. 12: 2019-20 seasonAug. 25: Draft lotteryOct. 15: NBA draftOct. 18: Free agencyNov. 10: 2020-21 training campDec. 1: 2020-21 season start(via Adrian Wojnarowski/NBA)
The Ganta United Methodist Hospital needs about US$150K to revamp its laboratory in order to provide all required medical examinations.Speaking to the Daily Observer in an exclusive interview recently, administrator Mr. Patrick Martor said when the laboratory is improved, nearly all tests will be done at the hospital, and patients will no longer be referred to other hospitals for diagnostic testing.He said presently, the hospital is not able to carry out all the essential laboratory tests.“Even though we do a small portion of the parasitology examination here, it needs to be improved,” he said. “We need to make the lab a more functioning laboratory.” Mr. Martor said the US$150k will enable the administration to standardize the building, equip the hospital and train personnel.The Ganta United Methodist Hospital is one of the oldest referral hospitals in Nimba County. It was established in the late 1920s by Dr. George Way Harley, a Methodist Missionary.Since Mr. Martor took over as administrator of the hospital last year, many developments have been taking place, including putting tiles on the hospital floor, improving the sanitation and the record system.The hospital has been recently fenced, and patients have to pass through what is known as a “triage” for temperature and other tests, before entering the main hospital.The management anticipates an increase in the size of the pediatric and adult wards.“We want to make the delivery ward a very decent place to encourage those who want to deliver in the hospital to have safe deliveries,” he said.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)