PacifiCorp looks to keep coal plant data permanently private FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Associated Press:An electric utility is asking a Washington state judge to permanently block the public release of some economic information it provided to state regulators about its coal-burning units.The Sierra Club says the public should have clear information about the financial risks of operating coal-burning power plants. It filed a public records request seeking information that PacifiCorp blacked out in a coal analysis the company provided to the Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission this summer.In July, PacifiCorp won a temporary restraining order to prevent state regulators from releasing that information publicly. A Thurston County Superior Court judge is scheduled Friday to hear whether to make that injunction permanent.The utility, based in Portland, Oregon, completed a unit-specific analysis on the costs of retiring its coal-burning units — at the request of Oregon state regulators — but redacted some information it said was confidential and “commercially sensitive.”“This is a partial analysis that doesn’t provide a complete picture of whether or not a coal unit should be retired early,” said Bob Gravely, a PacifiCorp spokesman. He said releasing the information could do real harm because it can be misconstrued and distort the market. The utility provided the redacted information to those who signed non-disclosure agreements, he added.The Sierra Club says that there’s a strong public interest in the information, that it is not a trade secret and that the utility hasn’t met its burden to prove that disclosing it would result in harm to the company.More: Utility asks judge to block release of coal plant facts
Sudan has found a mass grave that most likely contains remains of 28 army officers executed in 1990 for plotting an attempted coup against the former President Omar al-Bashir, the public prosecutor office said late on Thursday.The officers were executed in mysterious circumstances after a quick military trial one year after Bashir himself took the power in a military coup in 1989. There burial site was not disclosed for decades.”The public prosecution managed to find a mass grave that data indicates that it is most likely the graveyard where the bodies of the officers who were killed and buried in a brutal manner,” the public prosecutor said in a statement. Bashir was ousted by the army in April 2019, after months of mass protests.Local media reports said earlier this month that prosecutors questioned Bashir over the 1990 executions. The prosecution has not publicly commented on the matter.Last month, Sudan’s public prosecutor announced the discovery of a mass grave east of Khartoum suspected to contain the remains of students killed in 1998 as they tried escaping military service at a training camp.Bashir already was handed down a two-year sentence by a court in December on corruption charges. Bashir also faces trials and investigations over the killing of protesters.He is also wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC), which issued arrest warrants against him in 2009 and 2010 on charges of genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity in Sudan’s restive Darfur region.A civilian transition government took over from Bashir under a three-year power-sharing deal with the military who helped remove Bashir, but the country’s economy is still in crisis.Topics : A team of 23 experts reached this result after an effort that lasted for three weeks, and more forensic and investigative measures will be taken in the site, the statement added.The public prosecutor assured the families of the executed officers that “such crimes will not pass without a just trial”.Bashir appeared in court on Tuesday at the opening of his trial for leading the military coup that brought him to power in 1989. He could be sentenced to death if convicted.Bashir’s attorneys could not immediately be reached for comment.
Facebook Twitter Google+ When the clock reads all zeroes inside Yankee Stadium on Saturday, it will be the end of an illustrious Syracuse career for safety Shamarko Thomas. He will leave as a first-team All-Big East performer, a member of the school’s top-10 list for career tackles by a defensive back and a potential NFL draft pick.Thomas, the unquestioned leader of the Syracuse defense this season, is known for being a ball of muscle with an infectious smile. He’s dished out vicious hits throughout his career, demonstrating the ability to play both the run and the pass while exemplifying a work ethic bordering on maniacal (Thomas has been known to push cars around on South Campus for extra workouts).In 2012, Thomas led the Orange in total tackles by a wide margin — 17 to be exact. His total of 84 (60 of which were solo tackles), was a career high. And his ball-hawking nature was demonstrated through three forced fumbles, two interceptions, one sack and one fumble recovery.His career at Syracuse has been an emotional one to say the least, as the Virginia Beach, Va. native lost both of his parents in the span of a year and took on the responsibility of caring for his siblings. He’s spoken openly about his desire to reach the NFL and support the rest of his family, meaning Saturday’s game against West Virginia is his final opportunity to impress scouts before Pro Day in the spring.Thomas and his secondary mates will be tested by West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith, a precision passer who many are expecting to be the No. 1 overall pick in the NFL Draft. Look for Thomas to go out with a bang — literally — and dish out a few more big hits in his final game for Syracuse.AdvertisementThis is placeholder [email protected] Comments Published on December 28, 2012 at 6:03 pm Contact Michael: [email protected] | @Michael_Cohen13
Facebook Twitter Google+ Minutes before Syracuse kicked off against NC State, Emma Firenze walked to midfield for starting lineup introductions — the first time she’s been able to do that this season. When her name was called, she heard the loudest ovation of any player.In the opening seconds Firenze raced down the left side of the field. On the right side, Eva Gordon dribbled the ball toward the goal. When Gordon crossed a pass, Firenze was there to corral it and send the ball past diving goalkeeper Sydney Wootten.Firenze was mauled by her teammates as SU head coach Phil Wheddon, who hadn’t even sat down in his chair next to the bench, pumped his fist on the sideline. Fifty seconds into the game, Syracuse had a 1-0 lead and its first goal in three weeks. “We knew we needed to set the tone, so it was good we got an early goal,” Firenze said.The goal was the first of Firenze’s career. In her first start this season, it helped propel the Orange (5-10-1, 1-6 Atlantic Coast) past the Wolfpack (4-11, 0-6) on a chilly afternoon at SU Soccer Stadium on Sunday.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textBefore Sunday, Firenze appeared in just six games this season and came off the bench. She spent most of this season recovering from a December surgery on her right knee, the same knee she injured prior to missing her entire freshman season in 2013. At practice on Saturday, Syracuse laid out its game plan for attacking NC State. That’s when Wheddon told Firenze she’d be starting. Firenze said she was somewhat surprised, but felt like she had a good week of practice leading up to the game and thought the coaching staff wanted to shake things up as SU had gone three consecutive games without scoring. “She’s shown some good things,” Wheddon said. “… We felt it was a good opportunity for us to start her, and obviously it worked out well for us.”Firenze said her emotions were running high before the game, but she focused on making sure she had a productive warmup in preparation for playing in the cold weather. Her goal served as a jumping off point for the Orange. Stephanie Skilton scored less than 20 minutes later to extend the lead to 2-0 and shortly after halftime Eva Gordon cemented the final score — 3-0.Firenze played for more than 52 minutes after her goal, and though she didn’t record another point, Wheddon said she showed “intelligent movement” throughout the game.“She moved well when she was off the ball, and she moved well when she had the ball,” he said. Wheddon added he wants to see Firenze be more effective for longer stretches of play, but called today a stepping stone in the right direction.Emma’s sister, Jackie, was on the field with Emma the whole time. Jackie, who has watched Emma fight through both knee injuries, said it was an emotional moment to see her score her first career goal. “I’m really happy for her, really proud of her,” Jackie said. “She deserves it.” Comments Published on October 18, 2015 at 5:04 pm Contact Michael: [email protected]
Welker’s name cropped up during the media session as the wide receiver was occasionally utilised as an emergency kicker during his NFL career – including slotting over an extra point for the Pats in 2010.”We were talking about him the other day – maybe we can see if we can round him up,” Belichick jokingly said of Welker, who is now on the coaching staff at the San Francisco 49ers.On a more serious note, he added: “If we lost three guys in any position it would be a problem.” Bill Belichick jokingly suggested he may try to tempt Wes Welker out of retirement as the Patriots continue to search for a solution to their kicking issues.The Pats boast a 10-2 record this season despite having to chop and change the identity of their kicker, using four different players in the role so far. Stephen Gostkowski was the starter before being placed on injured reserve and, after Mike Nugent failed to successfully fill the void, Nick Folk’s spell with the team was cut short when he had an appendix operation.Kai Forbath was on duty for the Week 13 defeat to the Houston Texans, kicking a field goal while landing one of his two extra-point attempts, but he was subsequently released on Monday.While there are reports Folk may return to New England in time for Sunday’s game against the Kansas City Chiefs, they had still yet to have a recognised kicker on their roster early on Friday.Asked about the situation in his news conference, Belichick said: “We will just have to see how it goes. We will go with what we’ve got, or… I don’t know, see how it goes.”All the feels this week #Patriots players see their #MyCauseMyCleats for the first time.All the cleats, all the causes: https://t.co/pVgiQGiaco pic.twitter.com/PcHVsaiI7d— New England Patriots (@Patriots) December 5, 2019The Patriots head coach was then questioned over reports Folk is set to return, though when asked if an announcement was expected, he simply replied: “Nope”.Punter Jake Bailey is an option having accepted the added responsibility of kick-off duties in Gostkowski’s absence, though Belichick seemed relaxed over the situation as he proposed the idea of a familiar face coming back to the team.
A request from the dismissed Deputy Director for Operations of the Executive Protection Service (EPS), Darlington George, to have criminal charges against him dropped could not take place yesterday after state lawyers pleaded with Criminal Court ‘B’ for suspension of the matter.The case was, however, rescheduled to today at the Criminal Court ‘B’ at the Temple of Justice in Monrovia.George and his bodyguard James Tamba are charged with aggravated assault, a felony of the second degree, and criminal facilitation. The two EPS officers allegedly beat and wounded one Ms. Varnester Maday Kiatamba, a resident of Barnesville Estate, in September last year.George’s request for dismissal of the charge is based on what his lawyers argued as government’s failure to prosecute their client despite four consecutive court terms, which expired without state lawyers pressing for prosecuting their client.Under the law, an indicted person should be tried within two consecutive court terms, a law which George’s legal team based their argument on to ask the court to drop the charge against him.It is not clear if the court will grant his request. But if it does, defendant George will walk away from the court today, Friday, September 30, a free man. However, if the request is denied, George and co-defendant Tamba’s trial will resume anytime soon.The case was initially filed at the Barnesville Magisterial Court for prosecution. It was later transferred to Criminal Court ‘A’ due to the magisterial court’s lack of jurisdiction to try the case.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)