African-American women pilots making history

first_imgBessie ColemanIn the field of aviation, Bessie Coleman was a pioneer. In 1921, she was the first African-American woman to obtain a pilot’s license — an international one — and fly a plane.Coleman was born in 1892 in Atlanta, Texas, to sharecroppers whose parents had been enslaved. She was one of 13 children. The family lived in a one-room cabin. When Coleman was two years old, they moved to Waxahachie, Texas. Several years later, the father, who was also of Native ancestry, left and moved to an Oklahoma reservation to obtain the civil rights that were denied to Blacks and Native peoples in Texas.In 1915, at age 23, Coleman moved to Chicago, where she began listening to and reading stories of World War I pilots. This sparked her interest in aviation. But because of racial and gender discrimination, no flight school in the U.S. would accept her.Coleman moved to France where she completed her flight training and earned her pilot’s license. She also gained further flying experience in Holland and Germany. She specialized in stunt flying and parachute jumps and performed ­aerial tricks.Coleman bought an old plane, and while on a trial flight with the mechanic pilot, the plane dived and Coleman fell out of the cockpit before it crashed. She died April 30, 1926, at age 34, and received recognition as a hero after her death.In 1997, Stephanie Johnson made history by becoming the first Black woman pilot for Northwest Airlines. Twenty years later, in 2016, she became the first Black woman captain for Delta Airlines.Johnson says she was encouraged by a high school teacher to follow her dream of flying. There were no pilots in her life growing up, she says, but for as long as she can remember she’s been fascinated by airplanes. She studied flying while attending Kent State University in Kent, Ohio. Upon graduating, she became a flight instructor for Kent State’s aviation program.Johnson and Dawn Cook, an African-American First Officer pilot for Delta Airlines, made history on Feb. 26 after organizing a historic flight together. The two women piloted a Delta Airlines flight from Detroit to Las Vegas. Delta celebrated Johnson during Black History Month and honored both women during Women’s History Month.Johnson encourages young children to consider a career in aviation and has worked with the Detroit Aviation Career Education Academy. She also served as director of the academy. She states, “I feel I have a great sense of responsibility to be a positive role model; that there were so few women in this profession, and too many women who still don’t think of it as a career option.” (Huffington Post, March 2)Johnson adds, “When I was hired by Northwest Airlines, there were 12 African-American women airline pilots in the country at the major airlines, and I knew all of their names. … One of the most rewarding parts of my career has been sharing my passion for aviation and exposing young people to the opportunities in the field.”FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmailPrintMoreShare thisFacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmailPrintMoreShare thislast_img read more

Virginia Is For Adventure Lovers Giveaway

first_imgEnter our Virginia is for Adventure Lovers Giveaway for your chance to win a weekend getaway, gear and more!Grand Prize from Natural RetreatsThe grand Prize from Natural Retreats includes:A three-night stay for two at Natural Retreats Meadow Lane Lodge Bed & Breakfast in the Alleghany Highlands of Virginia.A half-day guided fishing trip at Meadow Lane on the Jackson RiverA kayaking trip for twoPersonal Concierge and Outfitting ServiceFirst Prize from Albemarle AnglersAlbemarle Anglers in Charlottesville, Virginia provides the first prize:A Fishpond Encampment Lumbar PackEnter below for you chance to win:This giveaway is now closed! Thanks to all who entered and good luck!Rules and Regulations: Package must be redeemed within 1 year of winning date. Entries must be received by mail or through the www.blueridgeoutdoors.com contest sign-up page by 12:00 noon EST on February 15th, 2014. One entry per person. One winner per household.  Sweepstakes open only to legal residents of the 48 contiguous United  States and the District of Columbia, who are 18 years of age or older.  Void wherever prohibited by law. Families and employees of Blue Ridge Outdoors Magazine and participating sponsors are not eligible. No liability is assumed for lost, late, incomplete, inaccurate, non-delivered or misdirected mail, or misdirected e-mail, garbled,  mis-transcribed, faulty or incomplete telephone transmissions, for technical hardware or software failures of any kind, lost or unavailable  network connection, or failed, incomplete or delayed computer  transmission or any human error which may occur in the receipt of  processing of the entries in this Sweepstakes. By entering the  sweepstakes, entrants agree that Blue Ridge Outdoors Magazine, Natural Retreats, Albemarle Anglers, and the Virginia Tourism Corporation reserve the right to contact entrants multiple times with special information  and offers. Blue Ridge Outdoors Magazine reserves the right, at their  sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry  process and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Sweepstakes.  Winners agree that Blue Ridge Outdoors Magazine and participating  sponsors, their subsidiaries, affiliates, agents and promotion agencies  shall not be liable for injuries or losses of any kind resulting from  acceptance of or use of prizes. No substitutions or redemption of cash,  or transfer of prize permitted. Any taxes associated with winning any of  the prizes detailed below will be paid by the winner. Winners agree to  allow sponsors to use their name and pictures for purposes of promotion. Sponsors reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater  value. All Federal, State and local laws and regulations apply.  Selection of winner will be chosen at random at the Blue Ridge Outdoors  office on or before February 28th, 6:00 PM EST 2014. Winners will be contacted by  the information they provided in the contest sign-up field and have 7  days to claim their prize before another winner will be picked. Odds of  winning will be determined by the total number of eligible entries received.last_img read more

After Manipur, Arunachal wants to be kept out of Naga peace deal

first_imgArunachal Pradesh has echoed Manipur in demanding to be kept out of any “territorial changes” that might be incorporated in the settlement of the Naga political problem.October 31 deadline The Central government has been discussing with the Isak-Muivah faction of National Socialist Council of Nagaland (NSCN-IM) as well as a rival conglomerate named Naga National Political Groups for the “final solution” on the peace accord by October 31, a deadline purportedly set by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.“The proposed agreement between the Centre and the NSCN-IM should not affect Arunachal Pradesh and its people in any way. We strongly oppose any attempt to change the territorial jurisdiction of the State or any kind of administrative intervention in the State while reaching the final solution,” said Hawa Bagang, the president of All Arunachal Pradesh Students’ Union (AAPSU).Plea to all partiesThe union has demanded that Pema Khandu-led BJP government should make its stand on the vexed issue clear. It also asked the three Members of Parliament from the State, all 60 legislators and the political parties to come together to protect the territorial integrity of Arunachal Pradesh. The AAPSU’s message to Delhi is based on the NSCN-IM’s vision of Nagalim or Greater Nagaland that would entail redrawing of boundaries to bring all Naga-inhabited areas in the Northeast under one administrative umbrella.The NSCN-IM’s map of Nagalim spreads over 1,03,473 sq km beyond the 16,527 sq km area of Nagaland. It includes much of eastern Arunachal Pradesh. The outfit, as well as rival factions, claim these areas, primarily Changlang, Longding and Tirap districts are dominated by Nagas.last_img read more

10 months agoNewcastle boss Rafa Benitez: We need more in attack

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Newcastle boss Rafa Benitez: We need more in attackby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveNewcastle United boss Rafa Benitez says they need to improve their attack next month.Benitez was frustrated after their 0-0 draw with Fulham.He said, “We have to put into perspective where we were at the beginning and we are now playing against teams like Fulham and Wolves who have spent a lot of money during the summer.”But we carry on with a group of players who have been doing really well for us, fighting every game, but sometimes in these types of games you can see we need a little bit more and that is what we are looking for.” last_img read more

11 days agoWolves captain Coady: Strange playing against Liverpool

first_imgWolves captain Coady: Strange playing against Liverpoolby Paul Vegas11 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveWolves captain Conor Coady admits it still feels strange playing against Liverpool.The centre-back spent 15 years at Anfield before joining Huddersfield Town in 2015.”It’s a weird feeling, when I play against them I want to win more than ever. I don’t know why that is. I just do,” said Coady.Asked about the Reds’ chances this season, Coady added: “I know it’s early doors, but I think with Liverpool this year they don’t seem to be panicking.”People are talking about them conceding and not keeping clean sheets but when they do they think it’s okay cause we can score another. City seemed like that last year.”With Liverpool, they missed out on the Champions League the year before and then they kick on again because the manager is that good.”I don’t want to speak too soon but they look to be going [up] again which is so good to see for them.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Bridge replacing Lakshman Jhula in Rishikesh to come up before 2021 Kumbh

first_imgDehradun: A suspension bridge will be built on the Ganga in Rishikesh before the ‘Kumbh Mela’ of 2021 as an alternative to the iconic Lakshman Jhula, which was closed last month because of its dilapidated condition, an official said Saturday. A suspension bridge with a span of 150 metres meant for pedestrians will be built close to the iconic Lakshman Jhula as its substitute, Additional Chief Secretary Om Prakash said. A site for the bridge on the upper stream side of Lakshman Jhula has been identified by the PWD and an amount of more than Rs 3 crore has been sanctioned for initial work related to the project, he said. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss bank a/c details “We have set ourself the target of completing the construction of the bridge before the 2021 Kumbh Mela,” the official said, adding that the iconic bridge will be preserved as a British-era legacy. The 90-year-old bridge was shut on July 12 for safety reasons after experts found that the loading capacity of its components had come down drastically over the years making it unfit for use. Locals and traders protested its closure before the start of the ‘Kanwar Mela’. However, Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat had assured representatives from the area that an alternative bridge will soon be built on the Ganga.last_img read more

Realme aims to sell 15 mn units in India in 2019

first_imgNew Delhi: China-based smartphone maker Realme, that clocked seven per cent market share in India in the first quarter of 2019, is aiming to sell at least 15 million handsets in the country by the end of year, the company’s India CEO said on Monday. The online-focused device maker that came into existence in 2018, was also among the top five smartphone brands in the fourth quarter of 2018 with eight per cent market share. “We are targeting to sell at least 15 million handsets this year and I believe in sales numbers,” Madhav Sheth, Chief Executive Officer, Realme India, told IANS. Also Read – Swiggy now in 500 Indian cities, targets 100 more this year “The sales and shipments won’t have such a huge gap,” Sheth replied when asked if the company was aiming only at the shipment numbers. Realme, which started as an online-only brand, now gets the majority of its sales from offline channels, according to Counterpoint Research. The handset maker will set up six exclusive stores in metros by the end of the year. The first such store will be opened in July. However, the company said it will also focus on the tier-2 and tier-3 cities. Also Read – New HP Pavilion x360 notebook with in-built Alexa in India “We’ll explore going into places like Nashik, Nagpur and Pune. We’ll also look to set up pop-up stores in the northeast,” noted Sheth. The company is targeting 50 pop-up and six exclusive stores this year. The retail outlets would house Realme’s portfolio of smartphones, Realme “Buds” and backpacks. “We already have our own earbuds and before Diwali, we will also have our own range of accessories. We will come up with our own power bank, Bluetooth headset, apart from few more smartphones,” the executive said. Currently, the brand has a retail presence in 50 cities, including Mumbai, Hyderabad, Surat, Ludhiana and Chandigarh, and is expanding footprint to meet the growing demands of customers. “We’ve already set up multi-brand retail outlets in 39-40 cities and we’ll reach 20,000 multi-brand retail outlets across 150 cities before 2019 ends,” said the company executive. The firm unveiled its first exclusive kiosk at the pop-up sale in New Delhi on Saturday. The kiosk lets customers experience and purchase from the Realme portfolio. The Chinese handset maker currently has one of its research and development (R&D) bases in Hyderabad and another in China, while its manufacturing factory is located in Greater Noida, which has a production capacity of almost 60-80 million handsets a year. The firm introduced the Realme 1 model in May 2018, marking its foray into the entry-level smartphone segment. According to CyberMedia Research (CMR)’s mobile handset report, the firm’s smartphone shipments grew by over 600 per cent in the September-October period in comparison to the July-August period in 2018, thus, making it the top emerging brand in India. Born as OPPO’s sub-brand, Realme is now an independent brand targeting the global youth.last_img read more