Florida Senator Marco Rubio recently told reporters and Fox news commentators that he thinks it’s “going to be difficult” but that it “is possible” to make progress on immigration reform under the Trump Administration.Rubio appeared to be proposing that recent movement on Trump’s law enforcement policies and efforts to move immigration laws into a more “merit-based” system, could open a path for providing status to law abiding Immigrants, saying, “then you can do something very reasonable with the people who have been here a long time who are not gang bangers, who are not criminals, who are not a threat to public safety.”And as a member of the bipartisan “Gang of Eight,” Senator Rubio was involved in significant comprehensive immigration reform legislation proposed in 2013, which would have created a pathway to citizenship for millions of undocumented immigrants living in the U.S.. Unfortunately the measure failed to gain the needed support in the Republican held House of Representatives and did not become law.Immigration advocates are heartened at the recent statements by Rubio and other Republicans, but remain skeptical about the possibility of such a measure in the near future, given Trump’s history of contradictory positions on immigration reform. ….
For the first time in four years exports from the Caribbean and Latin America have increased. In the first quarter of 2017, the value of exports increased by 17 percent, following a decline of 2.9 percent in 2016. The recovery was primarily driven by a rebound in commodity prices, according to an analysis conducted by the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) using detailed data from 25 regional countries.The United States Department of State has issued a warning to Americans to be careful when they visit the Caribbean nation of Haiti. The Department cited the current security environment and lack of adequate medical facilities and response, especially in the areas of Pétion-ville and the storm-damaged southern peninsula departments of Grand Anse and South. The current release replaces a Travel Warning dated November 4, 2016.A Jamaican man has lost his appeal against a lengthy prison sentence for drug smuggling. Tyrone Brown, 31, was last year sentenced to 15 years imprisonment for trying to smuggle packages of cocaine through the airport in his baggage. Brown launched an appeal against his conviction and sentence, both of which have been dismissed by the Court of Appeal. Judges ruled that the sentence was not manifestly excessive.And in sportsFormer Cayman Islands Football Association (CIFA) general secretary Costas Takkas plesded guilty to charges of money laundering conspiracy in a New York federal court on Wednesday. The 60-year-old Takkas a former attaché of former CONCACAF President Jeffrey Webb faced charges relating to the transmission of millions of dollars in bribes paid during the official’s tenure in office. According todocuments presented in court, Webb received a $US3m bribe to guarantee the media and marketing rights for the home World Cup qualifiers of Caribbean teams during the 2018 and 2022 campaigns.Here’s what’s trending…Greg Gianforte, a Montana Republican running for a U.S. House of Representatives seat, was charged with assaulting a reporter hours before polls opened on Thursday for a special congressional election that could test President Donald Trump’s political clout. Gianforte was charged with misdemeanor assault after Ben Jacobs, a political correspondent for the U.S. edition of the Guardian newspaper, said the candidate “body-slammed” him during a campaign event. Republican lawmakers criticized Gianforte but stopped short of asking him to withdraw from the race.For Tomorrow’s weather forecastIt will be partly cloudy with isolated thunderstorms in Broward County, Mostly sunny in Miami-Dade and Palm Beach Counties with a high of 91 and a low of 73. Today’s news was brought to you by the Florida Department of Health in Broward County, who encourages you to Protect Your Baby, Vaccinate On Time, Every Time. They remind you that Immunizations are SAFE, PROVEN PROTECTION. For more on these and other stories visit us at caribbeannationalweekly.com Make sure to pick your copy of Caribbean News weekly at your nearest Caribbean American outlet
Jamaica’s Olympic champion sprinter Elaine Thompson flew to a world leading 10.71 to defend her national 100 meters title in Kingston on Friday.Thompson recovered from a moderate start to rein in training partner Christania Williams and pull away for an emphatic win.“The plan was to come out here and just go through the rounds, take it step by step, and even though we got some rain I just got the job done,” Thompson told Reuters.“As I know the season is very long, so I just have to take race by race.“The focus is on the world championships, so in due time the fast times will come,” she added.Thompson’s time improved on the year-best she set in Shanghai last month.Simone Facey had a poor start but closed quickly over the last 30 metres to be runner-up in 11.04, just clipping Jura Levy for second.Men’s former 100m world champion Yohan Blake recorded a season-best 9.90 to capture the national title in the absence of Olympic champion Usain Bolt, who decided to skip the meeting as he prepares for his world championships farewell in London.Blake, who won 100m and 200m silver at the 2012 London Olympics, recorded his fastest time since logging 9.69 in 2012 and said his confidence was back after years of hamstring problems.Julian Forte, who clocked a personal best 9.99 to win his semi-final, was runner-up in 10.04, with Senoj-Jay Givans third.Asafa Powell, who has been nursing tendonitis, failed to report for the final after posting 10.15 in his semi-final.There was an upset in the women’s 400m hurdles when the little-known Ronda Whyte produced a late burst to win in a career best 54.28, edging runner-up Ristananna Tracey and third-placed Leah Nugent.
Photo courtesy of: Loop Jamaica A St. Vincent woman who was doused with gasoline and set on fire by her boyfriend after she denied him sex has died in a Kingstown hospital.The dead woman, Monique Clarke, of Biabou, had been in critical condition at the hospital after the macabre attack on Sunday, August 13.Sister made revelation in social media postHer sister Iesha Richardson said in a social media post that Clarke, sadly, succumbed to her injuries.“Thanks to everyone who tried to help in one way or another but Sad News… not what I wanted to hear…My sister Monique has passed on,” Richardson said.Attack witnessed by 13-year-old boyAccording to reports, the woman was set ablaze after she reportedly refused to have sex or give money to a man with whom she has had an abusive relationship for the past two years.The attack was witnessed by the woman’s 13-year-old son.Police have since charged Pedro Ashton, 33, a laborer of Biabou, with intent to commit murder and he is scheduled to re-appear in court on September 4.Police in the islands say the charge is likely to be upgraded to murder.Monique Clarke died as her family was attempting to raise funds to send her overseas for medical attention.
The Jamaican government has established a task force to address any fallout in bauxite operations from the decision of the United States to place sanctions on imported steel and aluminum.The task force is being established as the proposed sanctions could have an effect on the Russian owned company, UC Rusal, based in Jamaica.To examine “options and possibilities”Transport and Mining Minister, Robert Montague, said the taskforce will examine “options and possibilities” and would include representatives from the Ministry of Transport and Mining, Ministry of Finance and the Public Service, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade, Attorney General’s Chambers and the Jamaica Bauxite Institute.Consultations underwayThe sanctions, which were applied by the US on April 18, will affect operations at the Windalco plant in Ewarton.“We are consulting with the US Government, the Russian Embassy and UC Rusal. We will update the country in a more fulsome way very soon. Discussions are at a very delicate stage,” Montague said, adding “we are aware of some of the challenges but we cannot yet show our full hand. We have also moved to protect the interests of our citizens and their assets.”He said the Jamaican government has had a series of consultations with the stakeholders with three principles in mind: protecting the workers’ jobs; protecting the environment; and safeguarding the country’s economy.He told parliament that the government has revoked the mining permits around some of the lands at Kirkvine.Meanwhile, the European Union said Friday it plans to bring its case against new U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum to the World Trade Organization (WTO).If that happens, the 28-nation EU would join China and India in triggering the WTO’s dispute settlement mechanism over the American trade penalties.The EU has already prepared US$1.6 billion in retaliation against U.S. goods including steel, orange juice, motorcycles and bourbon whiskey.
NEW YORK, CMC – At least two lawsuits have been filed in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York challenging the legality of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency of making civil immigration arrests for Caribbean and other immigrants without a judicial warrant or court order in and around New York State courthouses.The lawsuits have been filed by New York Attorney General Letitia James, the Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez, the Legal Aid Society and the law firm, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP.The first lawsuit, filed jointly by James and Gonzalez, alleges that ICE arrests in and around courthouses impede the administration of justice and adversely impact public safety.The suit seeks to halt a two-year pattern of civil immigration arrests by federal ICE agents in and around state courts, “which have caused a major disruption to state court operations,” James said.The second lawsuit, filed by New York’s The Legal Aid Society and Clearly Gottlieb, seeks a permanent injunction, ordering the halt of ICE courthouse enforcement on behalf of an individual plaintiff — a noncitizen domestic violence survivor who needed to appear in court for an order of protection but feared the risk of an ICE arrest coming to a courthouse.Other plaintiffs include the non-profit groups Make the Road New York, Urban Justice Center, Sanctuary for Families, The Door and the New York Immigration Coalition.Since Donald Trump became President in 2017, ICE arrests in and around New York courthouses have increased by 1,700 percent, reported The Intercept.“When ICE targets witnesses and victims for arrests, it deters noncitizens and immigrants from assisting in state and local law enforcement efforts or protecting their own rights in court. This is a disastrous and dangerous break from previous policy, and that’s why we are fighting to force them to end this practice,” said New York Attorney General Letitia James.Gonzalez said that “if there’s one thing I’ve learned in my career as a prosecutor, it’s that law enforcement can’t keep people safe without the participation of the communities we serve.“Over the past two years, numerous immigrant victims and witnesses have refused to come forward and assist in our prosecutions out of fear that they’ll be arrested in court by immigration agents, forcing my office to dismiss or reduce serious criminal cases,” he said.“The refusal by ICE to treat courthouses as sensitive locations regularly disrupts court operations, creates a chilling effect in immigrant communities and erodes public safety.Chief executive officer and Attorney-In-Chief of The Legal Aid Society, Janet Sabel noted that New York State is home to more than 4 million noncitizens who are vulnerable to deportation.“In order for our judicial system — a pillar of our democracy — to operate effectively, it is fundamental that they have equal access to courts,” she said.“ICE’s courthouse enforcement blatantly violates the constitutional rights of our clients, as well as all immigrant New Yorkers, and we look forward to addressing this injustice in court,” said.Jonathan I. Blackman, of the Manhattan-based Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP, said that ICE’s policy of arresting noncitizens at New York State courthouses has “impeded effective access to justice in our communities.In the lawsuit, James and Gonzalez argue that the ICE Courthouse Civil Arrest Directive implemented in 2018 violates the Administration Procedure Act and the US Constitution.
Songs such as ‘Memories’ featuring John Legend at 21, ‘Yes Mi Friend’ featuring Stephen Marley, and Cherry Pie featuring Pharrell at #49 were some of the standout songs. Buju’s highest charting song on this week’s iTunes reggae top 100 was ‘Blessed’ which hit #10. Buju Banton’s album ‘Upside Down 2020’, his first in a decade, sold 2,995 copies in its first week and debuted at number two on the chart (which combines streaming and sales). Now being hailed as an official successful comeback, Dancehall veteran Buju Banton secured the number two on this week’s Billboard Reggae Albums Chart with his latest release. ‘Upside Down 2020’ is Banton’s follow-up album to acclaimed ‘Before The Dawn’, released in 2010. That album won a Grammy Award for Best Reggae Album that year and was Banton’s last project before he went to prison in the United States in 2011. Released June 26 by Gargamel Music/Island Records/Roc Nation, the 18-track set featured eight of nine Buju Banton entries in the top 100 iTunes reggae charts.
Submit Share Share Flutter moves to refine merger benefits against 2020 trading realities August 27, 2020 Related Articles The Labour Party has hit its shortest price of 15/1 since the snap call for a UK General Election (8 June).The opposition party makes its comeback as the latest YouGov election polls have the Conservative Party ahead by a 9-point lead. Betfair Politics maintains the Tory as 1/18 market favourite (94% chance of winning) to maintain its government.Updating the media, Betfair Politics informs that 65% of bets placed over the weekend have been wagered on a Labour victory as its UK 2017 General Election market hits the £6 million in matched wagers.Betfair Spokesperson, Katie Baylis, commented on the market : “While the Tories are still heavy odds-on favourites on both of the major markets of Most Seats and Overall Majority, there’s no doubt Labour’s odds are moving in the right direction for Jeremy Corbyn.“With a lot of criticism of the Conservative’s manifesto and the polls reflecting that, it’s perhaps no surprise that Labour have had a surge in backing from punters, with 65% of bets on them over the weekend. However, we are still seeing big money for the Tories, with one punter staking £65k on them over the weekend.” Bookies Corner: Trump Presidency sinks as US 2020 enters its 100 day countdown July 29, 2020 ‘Deal maker’ Rafi Ashkenazi ends Flutter tenure August 27, 2020 StumbleUpon
GiG strengthens sportsbook profile as recovery blossoms May 5, 2020 Submit StumbleUpon GiG launches WSN Podcast hosted by Bill Krackomberger June 18, 2020 Related Articles Share GiG ups code security oversight with Checkmarx July 10, 2020 Share Oring Ltd has selected iGaming Cloud (iGC) as the platform provider for the launch of Twin.com, a “fully customer centric” casino built from a pool of experienced industry professionals.Driven by a mission to become the casino that “tailors itself to the players”, Twin.com will mix an ambitious content release roadmap with a feature rich experience, player friendly user journey and ongoing promotions.Having praised the level of robustness and scalability provided by Gaming Innovation Group’s iGC platform, Twin Casino Manager Alex Ratcliffe added: “The iGC platform is second to none in the market place for delivering technological innovations to meet the player’s demands.”Overseeing the Twin.com project, which includes the upcoming addition of a VIP and loyalty program, is Chief Brand Officer Marcin Jablonski.Jablonski commented: “We have been given a unique opportunity to create an environment from the ground up that we, as casino players, would be excited to play in. Utilising the iGC platform enables this vision and has given us both the solid base and toolset to deliver a truly great casino experience.”Referencing the ongoing development of the online casino, he continued: “We are working on several gamification offerings, as well a number of functionality improvements. This includes game view, which is to be upgraded this week with a new feature that will ensure players don’t have to stop playing a game regardless of where they navigate to on our site.”Mark Thorne, Chief Marketing Officer for Twin.com, said: “I am confident Twin will be recognised as the top newcomer of 2017. We have a very ambitious marketing plan, aided by the strong name, stunning visuals and perpetual product development which all contribute to this brand a wonderful flexibility when it comes to positioning it as distinct and above from the rest.”Ben Clemes, Head of iGC, concluded: “I want to encourage all casino enthusiasts to get a first-hand experience of the refined mobile-first design of Twin.com. The people behind Twin are an amazing team to work with.“Looking at the development plans these industry veterans have for their new online casino, I’m quite certain, that Twin.com will bring a lot of quality entertainment and joy to their lucky customers.”
Share Share Related Articles ASA monitoring sweep marks gambling as the worst underage advertising offender August 26, 2020 Submit UK gambling adopts toughest online advertising code to protect underage audiences August 27, 2020 StumbleUpon Belgian Pro League live betting streaming deal for Stats Perform August 21, 2020 Koen GeensThe government of Belgium is set to press forward with a stricter national gambling advertising code, which will see the introduction of a blanket ban on all forms of gambling-related promotions during live sports broadcasts.Belgium’s Parliamentary Chamber of Representatives (De Kamer), is reported to have approved the new gambling advertising standards code tabled last June by Christian Democrat CDV MP Koen Geens.Concerned by the increased exposure of gambling-related services to Belgian minors and vulnerable consumers, Geens had put forward a new ‘five-point mandate’ to limit industry advertising.Provisions include an outright ‘all-vertical ’ban on betting/gambling advertising during sports broadcasts, which would be supported by the introduction of an 8 pm Belgium watershed.Additionally, Geens and CDV further want to limit the number of advertisements served by individual operators and include new consumer provisions related to tackling and raising awareness of problem gambling.The CDV’s stance on stricter betting advertising has been supported by national regulator the Belgium Gaming Commission (BGC), who has stated that the country’s needs a higher standard of policy for its regulated market stakeholders.However, in June, Belgian media owners criticised the BGC for not providing clarity on advertising standards, which have remained vague with regards to viewer provisions and digital marketing practices.