Child benefit cuts hit more

first_img THE withdrawal of child benefit from higher rate taxpayers in 2013 will hit 300,000 families more than the government had first believed, it emerged yesterday. Chancellor George Osborne said child benefit would remain in place until young people left education “at the age of 18 or even 19” rather than being reduced from 19 to 16.Government officials now said the lower figure had been a “cautious” initial estimate and had not been vetted by the Office of Budget Responsibility.The change means 1.5m families, rather than 1.2m as previously suggested, will lose the benefit.Officials said the lower figure had been a “cautious” estimate and did not take into account those families that would have lost the benefit had the age limit been reduced. The controversial plans, which see those earning more than £43,875 lose the entitlement, would also raise more than double the £1bn annual savings the government had first forecast, to £2.5bn a year, Osborne said. The proposals have been a constant headache for the coalition since they were announced at the Conservative party conference at the beginning of this month. Shortly after the proposals were announced it emerged single income families on more than £43,875 would lose child benefit, while a family in which both parents worked but earned £40,000 each, giving a combined income of £80,000, would still receive the benefit. Labour shadow chancellor Alan Johnson, attacked Osborne over the figures saying: “The discrepancy between previous projections and what the chancellor announced today beggars belief.” Child benefit cuts hit more Tags: NULL whatsapp Share Wednesday 20 October 2010 8:07 pm center_img KCS-content by Taboolaby TaboolaSponsored LinksSponsored LinksPromoted LinksPromoted LinksYou May LikeMisterStoryWoman Files For Divorce After Seeing This Photo – Can You See Why?MisterStoryTotal PastThe Ingenious Reason There Are No Mosquitoes At Disney WorldTotal PastNoteabley25 Funny Notes Written By StrangersNoteableyMoneyPailShe Was A Star, Now She Works In ScottsdaleMoneyPailSerendipity TimesInside Coco Chanel’s Eerily Abandoned Mansion Frozen In TimeSerendipity TimesBrake For ItThe Most Worthless Cars Ever MadeBrake For ItBetterBe20 Stunning Female AthletesBetterBemoneycougar.comThis Proves The Osmonds Weren’t So Innocentmoneycougar.comMagellan TimesThis Is Why The Roy Rogers Museum Has Been Closed For GoodMagellan Times More From Our Partners Russell Wilson, AOC among many voicing support for Naomi Osakacbsnews.comNative American Tribe Gets Back Sacred Island Taken 160 Years Agogoodnewsnetwork.org980-foot skyscraper sways in China, prompting panic and evacuationsnypost.comAstounding Fossil Discovery in California After Man Looks Closelygoodnewsnetwork.orgKiller drone ‘hunted down a human target’ without being told tonypost.comA ProPublica investigation has caused outrage in the U.S. this weekvaluewalk.comBrave 7-Year-old Boy Swims an Hour to Rescue His Dad and Little Sistergoodnewsnetwork.orgFlorida woman allegedly crashes children’s birthday party, rapes teennypost.comPolice Capture Elusive Tiger Poacher After 20 Years of Pursuing the Huntergoodnewsnetwork.org Show Comments ▼ whatsapplast_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *