BPL Points Table

first_imgP W D L GF GA GD Pts1 Leicester 34 21 10 3 59 33 26 732 T’ham 33 18 11 4 60 25 35 653 Man City 33 18 6 9 61 33 28 604 Arsenal 33 17 9 7 56 34 22 605 Man U 33 16 8 9 40 30 10 566 West Ham 33 13 14 6 54 42 12 537 Southam 34 14 9 11 45 35 10 518 Liverpool 32 14 9 9 52 43 9 519 Stoke City 33 13 8 12 37 43 -6 4710 Chelsea 33 11 11 11 49 45 4 4411 Everton 33 9 14 10 53 44 9 4112 Watford 33 11 8 14 32 37 -5 4113 B’mouth 34 11 8 15 41 57 -16 4114 West Brom 33 10 10 13 31 40 -9 4015 Swansea 34 10 10 14 34 45 -11 4016 C Palace 34 10 9 15 36 43 -7 3917 Norwich 34 8 7 19 35 60 -25 3118 S’land 33 7 9 17 39 57 -18 3019 N’castle 33 7 7 19 35 61 -26 2820 Aston V 34 3 7 24 23 65 -42 16last_img read more

Giants prospect Joey Bart out with another significant injury after hit by pitch

first_imgSAN FRANCISCO — Top Giants prospect Joey Bart suffered a non-displaced fracture of his right thumb on Tuesday night while playing in an Arizona Fall League game for the Scottsdale Scorpions.The No. 1 prospect in the Giants’ farm system and No. 2 overall draft pick in 2018 was hit in the right hand by a fastball thrown by Pirates prospect Blake Cederlind in Tuesday’s game and is likely to miss the rest of the Fall League schedule due to the injury.Team specialist Dr. Donald Sheridan examined …last_img read more

Helping children stay safe online

first_img4 June 2012 The government has partnered with Google South Africa and the UN Children’s Fund (Unicef) in launching the South African version of the Google Online Family Safety Centre. The website, www.google.co.za/familysafety/, is available via computer or mobile in English, isiZulu and Afrikaans, and aims to assist parents and caregivers in helping their children navigate the internet safely. It carries advice on keeping families safe online, cyber bullying, safety tips from other parents, as well as a platform for reporting inappropriate online content. The site forms the first part of the Online Child Safety Campaign, launched by Minister for Women, Children and People with Disabilities Lulu Xingwana in Johannesburg last week. The second phase of the campaign will see workshops taking place in schools and communities to train parents, teachers and children on how to stay safe online.Empowering parents and children Speaking at the launch, Xingwana said social networks were central to the day-to-day lives of many young people, and it was important for parents to have regular, open discussions with their children about their experiences on the internet. “Even though extensive efforts have been put into protecting children online in other countries, not much work has been done in South Africa and the southern African region,” Xingwana said, adding that the campaign was the first of its kind in the country involving government, the private sector and civil society. She said parents’ approach should not be to scare children away from technology but rather to empower them with ways in which they can use technology responsibly and protect themselves from possible harm.Mitigating online risks Google South Africa policy manager Fortune Mgwili Sibanda said that while the internet played a positive role in education and information, it also enabled some of the worst abuse of children. “The internet is growing at a [fast] pace and has become a playground for our children,” Sibanda said. “We are trying to mitigate the risks online by educating children on how to stay safe online. “We can’t block them from accessing the internet, as this may lead to them losing out on education and entertainment.” BuaNews and SAinfo reporterlast_img read more

R1bn investment sees new Corolla roll off the line

first_img5 February 2014 Toyota South Africa Motors on Monday started full production of the new Toyota Corolla – the 11th generation of the world’s best-selling car – following a R1-billion investment in its Prospecton manufacturing plant in Durban. Toyota South Africa Motors CEO Johan van Zyl said the company’s R1-billion investment was the second to be announced in the current phase of a capital expansion programme that started with a R363-million new parts distribution centre in Gauteng province in 2012. This followed a R8-billion investment programme that was completed in 2008 and that saw Toyota’s local production capacity increase to 220 000 units. In December, the company celebrated the production of its 1-millionth South African produced Corolla. “It is hard to believe that a mere two generations of the Corolla ago we were a manufacturing operation with South Africa as our sole market,” Van Zyl said in a statement. “Today the Corolla, a good example of leading-edge technology, is manufactured in high volumes for both the local and the export markets.” The new Corolla will be built in both left- and right-hand drive variants for the local and sub-Saharan Africa export markets. Van Zyl said the South African automotive industry’s transformation from local manufacturing and assembly operations to globally focussed manufacturing facilities was due in large part to the successful implementation of the government’s Motor Industry Development Programme (MIDP), which was designed to encourage high-volume local manufacturing and export programmes. “The environment created by the MIDP, and subsequently the challenges posed by the new Automotive Production and Development Programme (APDP), allows vehicle manufacturing facilities to invest in long-term projects that have long investment horizons,” he said. “The decision to invest in the production of the new Toyota Corolla was one taken well in advance of the start of production and one that considered the future economic prospects of South Africa and that of major Corolla export markets. “We believe that despite the current economic slowdown and currency pressures, the South African built Corolla will prove to be a good long-term investment.” SAinfo reporterlast_img read more

Elderly Mumbai couple seek ‘active euthanasia’

first_imgA Mumbai-based elderly couple have made a heart-wrenching plea to President Ram Nath Kovind seeking permission for active euthanasia or “assisted suicide” as they feel they are of no use to society or themselves.Narayan Lavate (88) and his wife Iravati (78), who have no children and say their siblings are also no more, are of the view that keeping them alive against their wishes is a “waste of the country’s scarce resources as well as theirs”.The couple, residing at Charni Road in South Mumbai, has sought the President’s intervention as they feel it is unfair to compel them to wait to die till they are afflicted by any serious ailment, and to make theirs as an exceptional case of “active euthanasia”.“The President has the powers for showing mercy to those on death row. We are serving a life imprisonment and the President can show us mercy by allowing us to end our lives,” Mr. Lavate, who retired from the Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation (MSRTC) in 1989, told PTI.He said if he and his wife, a retired school principal, decided to commit suicide by jumping from a terrace or hanging themselves, there was no guarantee they would die.“In Switzerland, there is an organisation called Dignitas for those who wish to end their lives. Qualified doctors who assist them in the process are not charged for abetment to suicide. We became members of the organisation but cannot go there since I don’t have a passport,” Mr. Lavate said. “Our aim of writing to the President is to make us an exceptional case for active euthanasia.”In his petition dated December 21, 2017, Mr. Lavate said he and his wife were in a reasonably good health and not suffering from any serious ailment.“We have already committed to donate our bodies after death and whatever little wealth we have, to the State treasury,” he said.last_img read more

Uttarakhand madrasas to teach Sanskrit

first_imgA lower committee of the Uttarakhand Madrassa Education Board (UMEB) has given its nod to a proposal seeking inclusion of Sanskrit and Computer Science as optional subjects in madrasas all over the State from the next academic session, UMEB Deputy Registrar Akhlaq Ahmad told PTI.At present, they offer Maths, Science, Ayush and Social Science as optional subjects.The proposal will now be moved to the upper committee for approval, he said.The Madrasa Welfare Society of Uttarakhand had recently approached the State government to include Sanskrit as one of the subjects.last_img read more

Mayank Agarwal breaks 71-year-old Indian record on Test debut in Australia

first_imgThe Indian team management gave Mayank Agarwal the opportunity to open the innings in the third Test against Australia and the right-hander grabbed it with both hands as he scored his maiden fifty on debut on Wednesday.The stage couldn’t have been bigger for Agarwal to shine as he brought up the milestone off 95 balls in front of a packed Boxing Day crowd at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.After a solid knock of 76 off 161 deliveries, Mayank Agarwal fell off Pat Cummins in the last delivery before tea. Cummins used the short ball to great affect once again as Agarwal’s gloves grazed the ball on his left and captain Tim Paine took an easy catch.The repeated failures of Murali Vijay and KL Rahul meant India had to try out something new in the third match. The move to introduce Agarwal as the opener has paid off till now at least even though his partner couldn’t survive for too long.The 27-year-old looked at ease against the fast bowlers and off-spinner Nathan Lyon alike throughout the first session and continued in the same vein after the lunch break.Agarwal became the 27th Indian batsman to score a fifty on Test debut. He is also only the second Indian opener to make his debut on Australian soil. Amir Elahi, the 40th player to represent the country, had made his debut at the Sydney Cricket Ground way back in 1947-48.The Bangalore-born cricketer is also the second Indian to score a half-century on debut in Australia after Dattu Phadkar (51 vs Australia at SCG in 1947).advertisementAgarwal got to his fifty with a boundary which also took him past Phadkar’s record of the highest score by an Indian on Test debut in Australia.Bringing up a fifty on debut in style!#AUSvIND | @Domaincomau pic.twitter.com/GRNIQ1vlO4cricket.com.au (@cricketcomau) December 26, 2018Agarwal was called into the side after Prithvi Shaw was ruled out with an ankle injury which he suffered in the warm-up match before the series started.Incidentally, Agarwal’s opening partner in this Test match, Hanuma Vihari, was the last Indian to achieve the feat during the Test series in England in September. Vihari had impressed on his debut with a fighting fifty in the first innings of the fifth and final Test at the Oval.While Vihari failed to get going on the first day of the Melbourne Test, Agarwal carried on and batted with positive intent to get to the milestone and would be eyeing a big score from here on.Mayank and Vihari were revealed to be openers for the Test with many pointing out the inexperience of the pair but they proved to be really good as they added 40 runs for the first wicket in the first hour of play.Agarwal was 34 not out at the break, with India 57 for 1 at lunch and had number three Chesteshwar Pujara for company on 10 under a cloudless sky.Fifty on Test debut for @mayankcricket #TeamIndia #AUSvIND pic.twitter.com/zpJijgerzTBCCI (@BCCI) December 26, 2018Kohli’s new opening pair enjoyed a solid start until Pat Cummins intervened with a rearing short ball that pinged off Vihari’s glove and was caught by Aaron Finch who jogged over from second slip to have the batsman out for eight off 66 balls.That was the sole highlight in a frustrating session for Australia, whose bowlers garnered little movement off the docile drop-in wicket that was ranked “poor” by the International Cricket Council after producing a dull, batsmen-dominated draw during the Ashes series last year.The four-Test series is evenly poised at 1-1 after Australia’s victory in the second contest in Perth. India won the opener in Adelaide.(With Reuters inputs)Also Read | Mayank Agarwal becomes first Indian opener to debut in MelbourneAlso Read | Hanuma Vihari looking to give his best as opener on Boxing Daylast_img read more

10 months agoWolves boss Nuno: Keeping Mitrovic quiet key to defeating Fulham

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Wolves boss Nuno: Keeping Mitrovic quiet key to defeating Fulhamby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveWolves boss Nuno says keeping Aleksandar Mitrovic quiet is key to defeating Fulham.Nuno knows that stopping the 24-year-old, who has netted 13 times for club and country this season, will be key to Wolves’ hopes on Boxing Day.“Last season in that moment he was a player who really helped them to get promoted,” Nuno said. “Their performance was fantastic and he is a very good player. I think he is one of the strikers who plays better with his back against the goal and we have to work on that.”Last season he created a lot of problems, especially because he was man to man with our last reference of defence. We have to balance better.” last_img read more

13 days agoMourinho names Ronaldo Nazario as greatest player of all-time

first_imgMourinho names Ronaldo Nazario as greatest player of all-timeby Paul Vegas13 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveJose Mourinho has named Ronaldo Nazario as the greatest player of all-time.Having enjoyed a glittering managerial career, which has seen him take charge of Chelsea, Inter Milan, Real Madrid and Manchester United, Mourinho knows a thing or two about talented footballers. “Ronaldo, El Fenomeno, Cristiano Ronaldo and Leo Messi have had longer careers, they have remained at the top every day for 15 years,” Mourinho told LiveScore.“However, if we are talking strictly about talent and skill, nobody surpasses Ronaldo [Nazario]. When he was at Barcelona with Bobby Robson, I realised that he was the best player I’d ever seen take to the field.“Injuries killed a career that could have been even more incredible, but the talent that that 19-year-old boy had was something incredible.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Video: Softball Player Pulls Off Ridiculously Impressive Bat Trick

first_imgGirl does bat tricks in her backyard.Bat Tricks GirlSoftball, as we all know, is a game of statistics. Here’s an impressive number for you. The below Vine, posted one day ago, has nearly 8 million loops. Why? Because it features an incredible softball bat trick.The girl’s name is Marisa Arriaga, and she hails from Cedar Hill, Texas. She posted the original video back in June, but it’s gone viral the past 24 hours. In the clip, she lifts a bat off of the ground with her foot, bounces it behind her back, kicks the ball off of the tee, juggles it, and then crushes it into the woods. It’s awesome.Bat tricks? pic.twitter.com/M2JqHXR08l— marisa (@marisa_arriaga) June 24, 2015Yeah, I can’t do that. Impressive, to say the least.last_img read more